Monday, September 24, 2012

Bamboo!

I had been thinking about getting some bamboo plants this fall, once the weather started cooling down a bit.  When I got an email from Bamboo Garden (I'm on their mailing list), it reminded me, and I went back to study their informative website.  If you like bamboo, check out their website...it's well laid out and has great pics and information.

I was only planning on getting 3, but the shipping price difference between 3 and 4 plants was only $5, so it made sense to get another one. :-) The person who took my order was knowledgeable and patient about helping me pick out my 4th bamboo.  My new guys (who will arrive in 5-7 days), and the reasons I like them, are:

Phyllostachys nigra var 'Megurochiku' : black bamboo that is green with occasional black stripe. Feathery leaves like phy.nigra 'henon', which I used to have and loved. Thought I'd try a different one.

Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' "Gold Vivax" : gorgeous yellow culms (please ignore that this can get 70' tall).  It really won't get that large unless it escapes its container.  And if it does, it'll be really easy to give directions to my house.

Pseudosasa japonica ‘Tsutsumiana’ : neat swollen culms.

Semiarundinaria fastuosa "Temple Bamboo " : burgundy culms.  This was the one they recommended, based on my area and that I wanted a bamboo with culms with an interesting color.

 They will be joining a young Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' which I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment