Friday, February 8, 2013

This year I've decided to do TWO Quilt-a-longs (QALs).  One of them is Jo (blog: Jo's Country Junction) QAL using Lori Smith's Fit to Frame Pattern 6   It just started... we are just on our second block so it is still a great time to join. It can be done with either wool on cotton ground, hand blanket stitched down, or traditional applique (yay applique!)  I decided to do mine with the block backgrounds in shades of Moda Bella reds (including one orangey red, and one burgundy). The applique will be done using scraps of Cherrywood Fabric....I have a few of their Scrap Bags for Crazies that are great for applique as well as crazy quilting. I was originally going to use all solids for this project but then I decided it would be fun to use a small amount of prints, so each block will use at least one print from a charm pack of Spencer Museum fabric I've been saving for a special project. And I love applique, so this qualifies as a special project! 

Here's my first block:



Now I have done a bit of applique in my time, and I love the precision I can get with freezer paper applique. I learned it years ago from Elly Sienkiewicz's book, Applique 12 Easy Ways  . I decided to try some other applique techniques with this project.  This block was done using back basting. A really good explanation can be found here. The leaf curves are not as smooth as when I do freezer paper applique, but it's the first time I've tried back basting so I need a bit of practice. I do like how I don't have to deal with the freezer paper unsticking when I don't have a iron handle to re-stick it. And placement of the applique is much easier. 

I'm having a lot of fun picking out the colors for the blocks. My February block will have  orangey yellow flowers and striped stems.....more on that when I have it finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment